Chocolate Chip Mandel Bread

Tuesday, July 19, 2016


This awesome-ness is based on a recipe given to me by my Jewish mother in law. My husband likes to give (my) baked goods as gifts (housewarming, good-bye gifts, office parties) and he asked me to make it for a friend of ours who was moving away. Please understand that the original was typed into an email and had ZERO instructions. We have made it before, but it always came out (to me at least) dense, super crunchy, and a little bland. Although, maybe that is how it should be?


Anyway, me being the person that I am, and despite the fact that pretty much everyone who eats it likes it, I decided to fiddle with it. Because I am a fiddler. (SORRY, NOT SORRY!)

Delicious Chocolate Chip Mandel Bread Recipe


So what did I change?

  • The original recipe called for 3/4 cup white sugar- I subbed out 1/4 for brown. (And I am thinking of trying a higher percentage next time!) 
  • I only added about 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice 
  • I added eggs first (before the flour/ baking powder) and whipped it. I whipped it good! (man, now that song is stuck in my head!) 
  • I added about 1/2 teaspoon salt as well 
  • I used milk chocolate chips-2 cups! 




I think the final result was pretty tasty-not too dense or crunchy (although by the next day it had developed a nice outer crisp on the cut edges) and with a little bit more complex flavor. I think a half-and-half mixture of white sugar to brown would be perfect.

The next time, I am going to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla or cinnamon. I think both of those flavors are pretty complimentary to chocolate. You could get really fancy and add a bit of cayenne pepper! Or dried cranberries and white chocolate! Or walnuts! Or M&M's! Or cinnamon chips! Or dip them in chocolate after they are cut!

YOU COULD ADD ALL THE THINGS!!!!!

Ahem.

Anyway, they are a lovely gift and great for making instant friends! Enjoy!



Chocolate Chip Mandel Bread

Makes 3 loaves.

Ingredients:

¾ cup oil

½ cup white sugar

¼ cup brown sugar (packed)

3 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

2 ½ cup flour

3 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

2 cups chocolate chips


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix together oil and sugar. Make sure all brown clumps are broken up.

Add eggs and whisk until batter is lightened. Add vanilla and lemon juice and stir.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to wet mixture.

Stir until everything comes together.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Form into 3 loaves and bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.

Cool and slice into ½” slices.

Keep tightly sealed at room temp for up to 3 days.

No comments