Lesson Planning: Scientific Method Unit Outline

Monday, August 7, 2017
I have been teaching for 7 years now, all different science subjects, in both middle and high schools. The one thing all of my classes have had in common is that I always start out with teaching the scientific method. Yep, even my high schoolers.

I like to start out with something as basic as the scientific method for a few reasons. First, it is an easy introduction to science, a topic that pretty much all students have seen. This guarantees that they will be successful and helps to boost confidence in my students. It also keeps them pretty engaged because they "already know this".

The second reason to start with scientific method is because it is a good introduction to my method of teaching. That way they are not learning two things at once!

I would like to share with you my Introduction to Science Unit outline. It takes me about 5-7 days to teach this unit, depending on the students and how much they participate. I end each unit in a station review that includes 5-6 stations of task cards, practical activities and sorting activities and a unit test. Click on the picture to download a PDF of my unit plan; I have linked the resources below as well.

Scientific Method Unit Resources

Day 1- Introduction to Science Lesson
Day 2- Observations, Questions and Hypothesis Lesson
- Quantitative and Qualitative Observations Activity by Elly Thorsen
Day 3- Variables and Experimental Design Lesson
Day 4- Data, Graphing and Conclusions Lesson
-Data Collection and Graphing Activity
Day 5- Alka-Seltzer or Gummy Bear Lab
Day 6- Scientific Method Stations Review (usually takes 2 days)
Day 7- Test


Additional Resources- I like to have resources on hand, depending on the class.
- Scientific Method Task Cards by Amy Brown Science
Scientific Method Stations by Elly Thorsen
**I have not used this particular one, but I have use Kesler Science Stations before, and they are generally good quality- Scientific Method Stations

I hope this unit outline has been helpful for you! Let me know what you think below in the comments!




1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete