Focus in 2018

Friday, January 12, 2018
New year, new you, amirite?

I wanted to pop in and write a quick post about my goals for the year.

I have been seeing all over the internet the idea of choosing a word for your year instead of resolutions, and I absolutely love it!

Of course, that is not enough- I have also been working on goal setting using the S.M.A.R.T. technique.



So for 2018, my word is FOCUS.

Being a mom, teacher, wife, scientist, runner, PERSON can get overwhelming. After my second daughter was born, people would ask how it was going. My word then was relentless. The demands were never ending; a constant wave after wave of everyone else's needs.

But I did not choose that word, life, at that time, had chosen it for me.

Now that my girls are older, I am able to move back into making myself and my goals more of a priority.

In choosing the word FOCUS, I am making the decision to intentionally work on my goals.

Next, I tackled my goals for the year. 

S.M.A.R.T goals are ones that are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timed. This makes you have to be more accurate than just saying "I want to be healthier".

Bear in mind that the more time and thought you put into making your goals S.M.A.R.T., the more likely you will be able to reach them.

I separated my goals into 3 categories- personal, school and business, and limited them to no more than three in each category.

Personal -
1) Run Broad Street 10 miler in May and the Half Marathon in November
2) Lose 15 lbs
3) Run a 5k each month

Business-
1) Reach and keep a minimum income until the beginning of next school year
2) Get my business parts streamlined

School-
1) Create a cohesive yearly curriculum for all classes that incorporates my values
2) Create a classroom that feels like an "internship" style room that encourages students to become problem solvers and inventors
3) Create a more interactive system of work using the digital tools I am required to use

My personal goals laid out in my bullet journal

For all of these goals, I went through and identified how I will measure success in each one, what steps I will take to achieve them, why achieving that goal is worth it and a date when they should be completed.

This took me a few days- I kept writing and revisiting them over and over until I was satisfied.

The toughest ones will be the school goals- this is my first year in this school and with this subject (STEM  taught in PBL manner) so it was hard to put into words what I wanted. For a couple of my goals, I am still unsure how they will be measured, so that is still a work in progress.

I also created pages in my bullet journal for tracking the steps to my goals, and check in points where I can re-evaluate as I go. Because, life...

So far, I feel empowered and on track! I have an incredibly positive feeling about my goals and the steps I have already taken, that at times I almost have to hold myself back from rushing forward to complete the next step!

But, then, I focus. 

I take a close look at the step I am at. Am I on track?

Am I completing this step to the best of my ability, or to it's full end, before rushing along?

I remind myself, I took a lot of time and careful thought to ensure that I have time to complete everything.

I think this year will be good.

What word, goal or resolution did you make? Do you have a plan to achieve it?

Comment below and share it with us!




8 comments

  1. Those are awesome goals! Which category do you intend to put the most energy in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is a pretty even split between personal and my business goals. I have been running every day since Jan 1st as I signed up for a Run the Year 2018 challenge- 2018 miles in 2018! I have also already researched and signed up for my virtual 5k for Jan and February, and I have my sights on a 6 miler and 10k for April and March. I have also been putting a lot of time into organizing my TpT materials and setting a schedule for posting new products, scheduling social media, and planning blog posts. If I am careful now not to over-schedule myself, I should be able to meet all of my goals!

      Delete
  2. Love this!! My word is create!! And I love your goals!! Awesome! Can’t wait to see you crush them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be writing a few more follow up posts throughout the year!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic goals! We share a lot of the same interests and goals (I’m also a teacher, athlete and Tpt’er) but my agenda is pretty much filled with my kids activities right now (11,8,6) so my husband and I are basically activity taxi drivers. I’m looking forward to bed my able to focus on my own goals again one day soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I originally chose a word that I needed the most help with in all areas of my like and that was CONSISTENT. However, just as I expected I’m having trouble being consistent.

    I like your goals and how you’v outlined how to reach them. How’s the progress?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! I like how you have outlined your goals. My word this year is reflection. I need to reflect more on my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete